קסם וחסר מזה

Enchantment and lack thereof

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Friday, August 13, 2004

We Be Jammin' Mon

"Music is the most beautiful thing that human beings can create."
-Jeff Friedlander

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, a jam session is:

"an often impromptu performance by a group especially of jazz musicians that is characterized by improvisation"

As I have stated earlier in this journal, I play the drums passionately. For the past 3 years I have joyfully played them, originally at drummer-friend's houses until I finally got my own set a year and a half ago. For that whole time, I had never played with other musicians, I had only my home stereo to keep me company. Until this week, I believed that I was a mediocre-at-best drummer, that my inability to keep a consistent beat would more annoy my fellow musicians than create a decent sound.

Everything I thought I knew about my abilities changed this week. John Broz and I have created a small studio in his basement; inside is my drum set, his keyboard, and some big old speakers. On Wednesday we sat down and started to play Franklin's Tower and things were just groovy. Playing with other musicians makes things sound so much better, I learned so much about what really sounds good. In all my time drumming, having never had a lesson, I have mainly focused on rock and roll: simple, easy, and usually fast enough that you can't really hear mistakes. In the past 3 days I have played everything from rock, to techno, swing, and jazz. I have also taught 4 of my friends how to hold their own behind a set. I never knew I could do all that.

I think I like jazz the best because its so easy to improvise. Music is dynamic, it's always changing. This works well for me, it fits into my style. Most musicians have some sense of structure, either sheet music, or some sort of rough idea of the song. My style is completely different, I am always thinking of new ways to accent or transition. I usually have no plan as far as what I will do next, but the years of practice have helped me look ahead enough in the song to make just about anything fit in. If it sounds good: I'll keep it for a few measures. If it sounds bad, I'm already doing something different. This may not be the best way; you need consistency in rhythm, you can't keep changing it all the time; but it sure sounds good. I guess thats what jam music is all about, if it sounds good, you're doing it right. It doesn't matter how you're doing it, as long as it pleases the ears.

Anyone in the Athens area who plays an instrument: let me know if you want to jam. I bet you'll enjoy it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home