קסם וחסר מזה

Enchantment and lack thereof

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Friday, July 30, 2004

Athens Celebrities

Midnight marked Erika's 21st birthday.  A few of us celebrated by going to the Blue Gator to see The Izzys perform.  It has sort of become a tradition for friends to buy the birthday boy/girl drinks at this bar.  Of course, the goal of most 21st birthdays is the bathroom.  Erika embraced her legal right to drink with enthusiasm I have never seen.  I congratulate her.  Thanks for spilling water all over me.

The Blue Gator was at near capacity, there must have been thirty people in and out of the club that night.  Welcome to Athens in the summer.  The concert was truly a star-studded event.  Among the celebrities were Terry Smith, editor for The Athens News, and  Dr. Ralph Kelsey, a former professor of mine.  I had recently written Mr. Smith a letter very similar to the one I sent my legislators.  Tonight, I introduced myself and reminded him of my letter.  I asked him why I had not seen it published in the paper.  It must have gotten lost somehow.   After explaining my stance on the issue, he encouraged me to send him another one, indicating that he might make a special article for the unusually long editorial.  That would be pretty cool.  We'll see.

I am a drummer and it has always been a dream of mine to play in front of an audience.  I can only think of two things when watching a drummer perform.  The first is whether or not I think I could pull off moves like that.  The other is how much I wish I were up there playing.  There have been times when my desires have gotten the better of me and my common sense was severely limited.  One time I was almost forcibly removed from a venue as I attempted to join a band on stage. 

I have looked upon percussionists with admiration for many years.  At any show I go to, my friends encourage me to ask the musicians for permission to jam with them.  I know the answer to the question before I ask it.  Rather than look like an idiot, I keep my mouth shut and enjoy the show.  But the urge just increases.  It seems that with every show, my desire to perform overcomes me.  Tonight I made a resolution that on my 21st birthday, June 21st 2005, I will drum with a band.  It doesn't matter what genre the music is, or how badly I play, I am going to get at least one song in.

Tonight, I was lucky enough to speak with The Izzys themselves.  This New York-based band were some cool gents.  I explained my drumming fantasy and my birthday plan.  Mike, the guitarist, expressed interest in my idea.  They are returning to Athens in September.  Mike extended the courtesy of an early birthday present.  He didn't promise, but implied the possibility of my wish coming true.  I am truly excited for that.  I hope it works out.

All in all tonight was pretty good, I didn't really drink since I had to drive, but it was fun seeing Erika fall on her face, put a hole through the table, and hit her head on the door.  Tomorrow is her real birthday party.  Much more fun, much less business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home