קסם וחסר מזה

Enchantment and lack thereof

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

An Exercise In Ballsiness

I have recently been sanctioned by my roommates to no longer smoke marijuana in or about our apartment. Apparently my packy wacky friends and I are putting the entire apartment in jeopardy. My roommates unanimously agree that there is a serious danger associated with smoking marijuana on Ambling Managment's property. I am told that there is always a chance that we could get caught, and that could mean eviction for me and my roommates. I obviously have to comply with my roommates wishes, but I don't have to like it!

In the past, a favorite spot for us has been the balcony of my apartment. This airy, secluded location is 3 floors from the ground and has plenty of room for friends. There is absolutely no way to access it unless you have a key to the apartment. Furthermore, there is not another balcony around for about 50 feet, excluding the ones above and beneath. The hilltop view offers a spectacular vantage point from which you could see anyone coming for a mile.

In order to be caught, the following events have to happen:

1. A passerby, possibly a police officer, disgruntled resident, or Ambling Management employee, notices (3 floors up) that some rabble-rousers are smoking illegal narcotics.
- Police never come up here, Ambling Management employees are not on the remises after 9 pm.

2. They give a shit.
- I have smoked with the neighbors before.

3. The proper authorities are notified and they too give a shit.

Clearly, the Athens police are not going to break down the door and arrest everyone here. They wouldn't be able to even if they knew what was going on up here! This reminds me of an argument with my mom about underage drinking. "The law is the law and we do not break the law."

I have assured my roommates that they have nothing to worry about, that if the impossible were to happen, my friends and I would take full responsibility. My roommates retort that, according to our lease, narcotic possession could lead to eviction of all parties in said apartment. To them, it's a risk they don't want to take. To me, it's an adventure, an exercise in ballsiness. I fear nothing!

For two years I have longed for the freedom of non-dorm living. Having my own room, bathroom, and kitchen is paradise, especially at a place like this. Another thing I was looking forward to was breaking the law. Yes, I have never been much of a law-abiding citizen and a home that facilitates illegal activities is my haven. While I happily and proudly drink underage, I cannot enjoy another pastime that I hold just as dear.

You may say I am making an issue out of nothing, that the drugs are overcoming my sense of priorities, or that I am just a dumb Pothead. All of these things may be true, and I apologize for offending anyone here; but like I said, I don't have to like it.

Protest:

Though I will continue to live in uninterrupted harmony and friendship with my roommates, I will not take this lying down, I will smoke as close as possible to the apartment without putting my roommates at risk. This may mean smoking in my car, in the parking lot, or even outside the damn door. Hell, to drive my point of impunity home, I'll do it in public view! You may say I'm a stubborn bastard, well....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After concluding you entry on ballsiness, i would like to propose a solution to the problem at hand. Now i admit the solution has some flaws, but here me out. The main flaw is that a successful result will only consist of getting you stoned and not a group of your friends. Though small, it is a victory nonetheless. To my understanding you have you're own bedroom; this element is key. Now, i suggest you use the old dryer sheets stuffed in a 20 bottle method of smoking. That way when you exhale is smells of flowers, instead of that sweet sweet herb that we refer to as ganj. I dont know how anyone could be so offended by reefer, but what can i say the world is full of crazy people. Now the purpose of using the dryer sheets is to eliminate the odor; no odor, no evidence of smoking, no getting caught for smoking in the apartment. Ignorance is bliss! Smoke on brother.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home