קסם וחסר מזה

Enchantment and lack thereof

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

New Letter To Congress!

Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) was reading the newspaper while presiding over the Senate yesterday as President pro tempore. Being the keen C-SPAN watcher that I am, I caught him and brought him to justice. I drafted up the following letter and am preparing to send it today. I will of course publish any response I recieve. But as my reply record from legislators is dismal (0-11), I doubt I will ever hear anything. I guess the modern way to legislate is by ignoring the American people. Corporations have more money anyway. I originally tried to email this to Mr. Vitter, but his website was shitty and would not work. Paper will give a better impression anyway. Wish me luck


May 11, 2005
The Honorable David Vitter
516 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Senator Vitter,

I am very excited to correspond with a Senator of your reputation and authority. I know that communicating with legislators is one of the best ways to participate in democracy. As a regular viewer of C-SPAN, I saw you lead the senate as President pro tempore yesterday. I must say that I was disheartened and disappointed to see you reading the newspaper during important debates on the floor.

I understand the importance of staying informed in this day and age, but I wish you would save such activities for your office hours. I know that you are very busy; such is the life of a US Senator. But as a Senator, especially as President of the Senate, you have the responsibility to put the American people first. Non-legislative tasks should be put aside while in the halls of the Senate, I'm sure many of your constituents would feel the same way.

I hope that during your next term as President pro tempore you preside with an air of consciousness as you rule over the events on the floor. I hope to never see you reading the newspaper in Senate again. It has been a pleasure to correspond with you; I hope to receive a response shortly.

P.S.: Why don’t I ever see Mr. Dick Cheney preside over the Senate? Am I mistaken, or is he almost never there? Is it a new trend in government for the Vice-President not to visit the Senate often? Please advise.


Sincerely,
Jeffrey B. Friedlander

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home